Tuesday 1 March 2016

SHABBAT SHALOM

I'm so enjoying the research for the novel I'm currently writing, Cape to Cabernet. Today I finished writing Chapter 24, in which my Israeli protagonist, Ganiet, gets to host a Friday night Shabbat meal for her goyim (Gentile) friends. It's high summer in South Africa when she plans the meal and I include all the delicious, light, yet distinctly Jewish, recipes in the book. But what cannot be adequately conveyed in a book is the Shabbat singing. One of the songs Ganiet teaches her friends is Shalom Aleichem. To give you a feel for what that Friday night might have sounded like I include two versions of Shalom Aleichem here. Which melody do you think Ganiet taught her friends? Which is your favourite?




2 comments:

  1. I much prefer the second one with the translation. It's beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its very beautiful, I agree. But harder to learn to sing perhaps?

    ReplyDelete