Tuesday 22 March 2016

ARE YOU HOLDING YOURSELF BACK FROM ACHIEVING YOUR DREAMS?


If you want to change your life this year, you're going to have to take a harder, deeper look at some of the things that could be hindering you; mindsets or belief systems that you don't even question. And if you realise that life-changer 2, Learn To Do Something New, is valuable and you're excited about implementing it; then you're DEFINITELY going to have to question your current beliefs..about yourself. Are you ready to do that? Good, we'll jump straight into it with this humdinger

I'M NOT GOOD AT..

Let me use myself as an example. I had no idea that the I'M NOT GOOD AT..belief system was holding me back from achieving my dreams.  It was a mindset I never questioned. In fact, I prided myself on being an advocate of the Pareto Principle. The Pareto Principle, aka the 80-20 rule, states that for many events, 80% of the effects come from 20% of the cause. So, in business, 80% of your sales come from 20% of your customers.  According to this principle, only 20% of the stuff you do really matters so it makes sense that you only do that 20% that produces 80% of your results. Simply put, focus on your strengths and don't bother about the stuff you're not good at. I was a firm believer in this principle. 

When I started writing Change Your Life This Year (book 1) I didn't have a blog, I didn't have a YouTube channel and I didn't have a dedicated Facebook page related to it. Why not? I believed that I'M NOT GOOD AT ANYTHING TECHNICAL. The truth is, I'm not good at anything technical but for the first time ever, I questioned that statement. What do you mean when you say you're not good at anything technical? I asked myself. I mean it doesn't come naturally to me, its not easy for me to do anything technical, I don't instinctively understand technical I answered. And suddenly, it seemed like a lame excuse. Just because something doesn't come naturally or isn't easy for you to grasp, doesn't mean you shouldn't expend the effort to LEARN to do it. 

What do you believe you're NOT GOOD AT? Is there a good enough reason for you to LEARN how to do it anyway? In my case there was a very good reason. I wanted to support my book with a YouTube channel, a blog and a Facebook page and there was no-one else to do it. It has taken a lot of time and effort to learn this new skill but I can honestly say that I've had a lot of fun along the way and its given me confidence in other areas too.

Please don't allow this mindset of I'M NOT GOOD AT.. to go unquestioned or you could find you have no-one else to blame but yourself for the fact that your dreams are passing you by. What do you think? Is there something that jumping to mind immediately that you should question?

2 comments:

  1. Very positive thought, thank you. We tend to limit ourselves, don't we? Or we listen to people who want to limit us. We need to break free.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true Clive. I found I didn't even question my mind sets until 'forced' to.

      Delete