Sunday 12 February 2017

adventure # 2: the fragrance of Christ

Sometimes I think that we don't take the Bible literally enough. Take this week's topic for example - the fragrance of Christ. We look at Bible passages like 2 Corinthians 2 and we see that 'fragrance' or 'aroma' is being used as an analogy in these verses - and so we assume that any association between Christ and fragrance is always metaphorical, never literal. But this is not the case. This week, we're going to spend time looking at what the Bible says about the fragrance of Christ. I really didn't intend for that to be the subject of our second adventure but once you've watched today's video, you'll understand how it happened.


Dearest adventurers, I hope that you are enjoying the Explore Your Story adventure so far. I know that many of you are still in the process of getting hold of my book and of catching up while others are chomping at the bit, counting the hours till the next adventure gets posted. Wherever you are, it doesn't matter because each video, each week's adventure, does really stand on its own although you will obviously get more out of it by keep up with things. 

Many of you echoed my heart last week by talking about #childlikefaith and how to return to that place, as well as how to ensure that we don't now rob other children of their #childlikefaith. I'd love to hear your Comments on that. 

In the meantime, here are my suggestions for this week inspired by the video that was definitely one of those bundu-bashes I spoke about last week. I'll leave it to you to decide what you can manage time-wise and, if you are registered for this adventure look out for an email from me.  If you are not registered, and you'd like to be, simple leave your email address and name in the Comments section below. 

Monday

Watch the video. Here it is for your convenience. Don't forget to comment and to share your experiences either under this blogpost, on the youtube channel or on the Change Your Life Facebook page. 





Tuesday

Learn more about the holy anointing oil. The holy anointing oil (Hebrew: shemen ha mishchah), mentioned in hundreds of Old Testament verses, formed an integral part of the ordination of the priesthood and the High Priest as well as in the consecration of the articles of the Temple. Once anointed with the holy anointing oil the person or object became consecrated to the service of the Lord. Its described in Exodus 30: 23-25  “Also take for yourself quality spices—five hundred shekels of liquid myrrh, half as much sweet-smelling cinnamon (two hundred and fifty shekels), two hundred and fifty shekels of sweet-smelling cane, five hundred shekels of cassia, according to the shekel of the sanctuary, and a hin of olive oil. And you shall make from these a holy anointing oil, an ointment compounded according to the art of the perfumer. It shall be a holy anointing oil.”

This unique blend of spices was used for the anointing oil and only for the anointing oil and it was a type of the Holy Spirit; the anointing in the natural is a prophetic act of empowerment by the Holy Spirit. A. W. Tozer put it this way: "The fragrance of the anointing oil was unique. If someone went near an Old Testament priest, he could say immediately, "I smell an anointed man. I smell the holy oil". The aroma, the pungency, the fragrance was there. Such an anointing could not be kept a secret."

As we know, all the things associated with the Tabernacle and the Temple are Earthly copies of Heavenly realities (go read Hebrews 8 and 9) - including the presence of fragrant oil. Jesus, our High Priest, is anointed with a unique and actual fragrance, and so God's people were instructed to anoint the earthly High Priest with fragrant oils. 

Why is this even important? Two reasons: it makes Jesus all the more real to us and it strengthens our trust in the Bible. 


Wednesday 

The various fragrant oils have prophetic significance. Take frankincense and myrrh, for example. These oils were two of the gifts given to Messiah at his birth, representing his role as High Priest and Prophet and speaking prophetically of who he was and what he would accomplish on Earth. Frankincense was burned morning and evening in the Temple to symbolise prayer and intercession and myrrh was used as a burial spice and in purification rites and speaks of the deliverance work of Jesus' suffering and death. 
Can you use it?
A combination of frankincense and myrrh is anathema to snakes, it drives them away. As in the natural, so in the spiritual - this is one of the most effective oils to use for deliverance prayer.
Frankincense oil can offer a variety of health benefits including relieving chronic stress and anxiety, reducing pain and inflammation and boosting immunity.

Thursday

How much do you know about the gift of discerning of spirits? I think I am going to do a whole video just on that gift and how it works but for now, suffice it to say, that 'smell' is one of the way in which this gift 'discerns' the nature of the spirit present. I'm attaching a link below to a good general article about the gift of discerning of spirit (although she doesn't mention the 'smell' factor).

Click here

Friday

Have you ever experienced or become aware of the presence of the Lord, via fragrance? As I shared you with in my book and on today's video, it was my very first impression of Him. I can't remember ever experiencing it since but I know that there are people who do. According to them, the fragrance is usually released during times of deep and intimate worship. Spend time worshipping Jesus today - and I see no harm in asking him to reveal himself to you via fragrance. During your time of worship pray in tongues for 15 minutes. 

Saturday

Consider this verse: 

Philippians 4:18
“But I have received everything in full and have an abundance; I am amply supplied, having received from Epaphroditus what you have sent, a fragrant aroma, an acceptable sacrifice, well-pleasing to God."

Paul likens the gift that the believers in Philippi sent him to the Old Testament sacrifices made to God - and he says it comes up before God as a beautiful perfume. Wouldn't you like to send your Heavenly Father a beautiful perfume today? Which one of His children or those in service to Him can you bless with a gift?

Sunday

Go to church. Even if you don't smell Heavenly aromas there every Sunday. Go to church. 

That's it for this week. I'm looking forward to your Comments. Until then, avante! 

SaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSave
SaveSaveSaveSave

2 comments:

  1. Ah Gilliano. Loved this one. I still remember when we went to look for my new perfume together at Constantia Village. Remember the Lord said that the Jean Paul Cartier that I was using at the time signified bondage?!

    I found the most amazing perfume just the other day that made my heart leap. Its from France, a rather unknown brand, Maison Martin Margiela and the frangrance is called Replica. "Reproduction of familiar scents and moments of varying locations and moments"

    The one that I bought is "Beach Walk".
    It literally smells like Im walking on the beach with a sun kissed salty skin. The first time I smelled it I almost cried. I miss the ocean so much. I always felt that my connection with God was so much stronger at the ocean. He speaks to me through nature, and I will never forget my drives on the coastal road listening to worship music, just me and the Lord. This takes me a little closer to those precious moments.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember well how God showed us what a prophetic role that fragrance was playing in your life and how 'rejecting' that fragrance was a 'rejection' of that spirit. Amazing. Amazing! I love the sound of Replica, we'll have to try and hunt it down in SA. Any ideas anyone?

      Delete